Thursday, February 26, 2009

Nella Vita di Quilters

Recently, I’ve started teaching myself how to quilt (pictures to follow shortly). I find that for the most part it is very relaxing, sort of like putting together a puzzle. And I enjoy the calmness and solitude it offers after long days at work. Of course, teaching myself comes with a lot of frustrations as does the fact that most new skills take patience and practice. The internet has been great; there are countless old biddies (and young hip crafters) who have generously posted tons of how to tips and methods, so I am not completely learning in a vacuum.

Still, I must admit that it can be very lonely. It takes a lot of time and work, and I can’t help but wonder how much more enjoyable it would be if I was quilting as part of an old fashioned quilting circle. I think most quilting circles were more of a social outlet anyway, the quilts were just a by product of the gossip and laughter. I feel as though today it is easier than ever to keep in touch with friends, what with facebook, emails, messaging, cell phones, etc. Yet, I feel as if we are definitely missing something in the lack of face to face contact. Even getting together for a meal and drinks is lacking the deeper long lasting impact that a quilt could hold. Within every stitch is the memory of the laughter and the togetherness. I’ve found that when I look at things I have made, I remember where I was when I worked on it, what I watched on TV, songs I sang along to. I can’t help but wonder how wonderful it would be to look at a quilt (or blanket, scarf, scrapbook, etc) and be able to see the faces of friends and loved ones and hear their voices and laughter instead. Perhaps it’s a bit of a nostalgic whimsy, but I think we need to bring back the quilting circles of yesteryears!

3 comments:

Kaitlin said...

I totally agree, Missy! I love quilting, too, but it is lonely. Next time we live in the same place, I will start a quilting group with you, even if we're old biddies by then. =) good luck on your quilt. mine was made from high school track tshirts. i love it. =)

Missy said...

Kate I love it. I save old shirts that aren't goodwill worhty to make future quilts out of too!

Jonelle said...

Well I cannot quilt, but I can scrapbook. If you have an idea for one, let me know and we can plan to make a day of it.