Monday, November 3, 2008

Nella Vita di Forgotten Corridors

While killing time before a late night work meeting, I stumbled across this article on the NY Times:

http://http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/03/nyregion/03erie.html?em

After reading the article I realized that I too was one of the many who thought that the Erie Canal had long since dried up. How happy I was to realize that America's former major artery was not only preserved but still functioning as intended! I can't help but hope that more commercial shipments continue to be made as well as other uses such as tour boats and recreation (kayak across New York anyone?)

Perhaps the greatest part of the article is a quote from John Callaghan, first mate on the Margot, "Sure it’s history, but it’s still relevant." Oh how it makes my heart sing. I think it sums up the work of preservationists, planners, developers, artists, historians, and creative thinkers everywhere. At the end of the day, there is nothing better in my mind than taking something old or historic and allowing it to remain relevant, useful, and needed (perhaps a good policy for my generation to consider with all the soon to be geriatric baby boomers).

No comments: