Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nella Vita di Africanormous

I love maps and geography. Yes that's right, I admit. I'm a map nerd always have been. Now I'm hoping that most of you are aware that the maps so many of us grew up seeing in schools are not accurate, but are just one kind of projection that became popular because of how it skewed Russia. So most school maps are really cold war propaganda. You can learn more about it here on Wiki.


My friend Eric, just sent me this neat map showing how large Africa really is. Considering it is bigger than the US and China, I think it really shows how important the continent has the potential to be on a global scale. Between the AIDS crisis and mass genocide taking place across much of Africa (not to mention the loss of some really create species), I don't think we can continue to ignore Africa or underestimate it's importance.



Lastly, perhaps even more surprising is how large Argentina is. I always thought it was a long, thin and relatively small country.

No comments: