Friday, January 30, 2009

Nella Vita di Library Books

I love the library. Always have, always will. Reading either for pleasure or education is very important. The concept of sharing resources instead each having their own is very important. Saving money by having access to free books is very important. It played such an important place in my childhood, filled with many happy hours, and I hope that it will in my future generations as well.

In early blogs (Handmade Toys), I talked about new legislation that will require lead testing for products intended for children under 12 and alot of potential problems with that legislation. Another one has just been brought to my attention, library books. Imagine libraries having to pay to have every childrens book in their collection tested for lead. Imagine every childrens book going to a landfill and having to be replaced. The whole idea just makes me feel very angry. Lead and children certainly do not mix, but sometimes I have to wonder when is enough enough? Is a library book or any book with trace amounts of lead (assuming it is 'contaminated') really that fatal?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, knowing that lead caused brain development issues to where chilcren could become mentally handicap..I beleive it's necissary. Of course there is a certain threshold they will go by. Most likely if there is not enough lead in a book they will leave it alone. If this theory were to be placed on homes with paint...saying when is enough enough...there would be a lot more children staying in Dundalk. What a scary world that would be. Hehe. Oh, and alot is two words.