Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Nella Vita di Resolutions #1: Mom and Pop

No, I’m not suggesting that your resolution should be to become a mom or pop this year, but that you should support one (the great news is that it doesn’t have to be your own). Buy shopping locally at Mom and Pop Shops you are able to get the products you need with a side of warm fuzzies. Here are 7 reasons to shop local.

1. It keeps dollars in our economy. Money is good.
2. It creates local jobs. Jobs are good and pretty important in maintaining a good quality of life. Plus, if more people have jobs, they will require less services which means less taxes.
3. It helps fund local government. Working for the local government this pleases me…please shop local, I need a raise!
4. It supports area non-profits. Who wouldn’t want this?
5. It helps the environment. See above.
6. It invests in entrepreneurship. I like the idea of rewarding creative, hard working people with my money.
7. It makes your town/city/village a destination, so that others will flock from afar to spend their non-local money J

I’m a big believer in small steps for big changes. So I’m not proposing that everyone must vow to buy everything they ever need/want from local retailers. Instead I suggest that each person choose one item and make a commitment (it’s like a resolution but with teeth) to only buy that item locally or choose one local store to support. For me, I’m going to buy all my yarn (and I buy a lot of yarn) from local Charlottesville yarn stores this year. Who will you support?

No comments: